Monday, May 17, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Tandoori Gyros

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I love ethnically confused cooking. If you're paying $30 a plate for it, go ahead and call it fusion, but if it's in my kitchen, it's ethnically confused. I have had very little Indian food in my life, because my dad is so incredibly averse to spicy food. This month's Food Network magazine had an easy recipe for chicken tandoori, and since I can control how spicy the food I make is, I was finally able to try it - with, of course, an ethnically confused spin on it.

PS - I'm so happy to finally be home, cooking in a real kitchen again!

Tandoori Gyros

Naan bread (store-bought, or, if you're feeling adventurous, make your own.)
12 oz. cooked chicken, sliced or shredded.
2 cups cauliflower, steamed
2 large Roma tomatoes, sliced
1 large sweet onion, sliced and sauteed until caramelized
6 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 small red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika

In a food processor, blend two tablespoons of the yogurt, the red onion, tomato paste, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, corianter, cumin, and one teaspoon of paprika until it forms a smooth paste. In a large bowl, toss the chicken, cauliflower, tomato and onion in the yogurt sauce. Spread the mixture on a foil-lined pan and broil for ten to fifteen minutes, or until lightly charred. While the chicken is in the oven, mix the remaining yogurt and paprika together. To serve, spread the yogurt sauce on the naan and put the tandoori mixture on top. Fold the naan in half and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment